Sinus is an air sac (or) cavity formed by destruction of a tissue or by an abnormal cavity. A healthy sinus is filled by air, if this cavity filled by any fluids or germs or when blocked due to inflammation results in infection. These usually found in the cranial bones (near the nose and connecting to it).
Depending on the severity of this infection this sinusitis maybe from acute, recurrent acute and chronic, though all these have similar symptoms but vary from few days (or) weeks to an year.
- Acute Sinusitis: Mostly caused by common cold or infection due to microbial actions. Can be treated with effective home remedies and last for few days to a month.
- Recurrent Sinusitis: This can happen several times in an year.
- Chronic Sinusitis: This can last from a month to an year due to nasal polyps.
It is a very common condition, all most everyone experiences at least once in their lifetime. It affects 10% to 30% of population each year. Most do not spread this condition to the others, what majority people assume. Its more often affects women than men.
The common conditions that cause sinusitis maybe due to inflammation or blockage or by microbial infection in the sinuses. Few causes might be seen at particular season, where are other causes noticed all throughout the year.
- Severe common cold with runny nose (due to excess mucus production)
- Inflammations of the linings of nose.
- Periodontal infection of a maxillary posterior teeth.
- Irritants like over the counter nasal sprays.
- Swellings in sinuses that can narrow down or block them completely.
- Due to pollen (maybe seasonal) and dust mites & moulds are year-round.
Though the symptoms are similar from acute to chronic sinusitis, several of the symptoms are noticed, few of them are listed here
- Pain or pressure in nasal cavity, forehead and facial bones.
- High sensitivity at facial areas when touched due infection and inflammation in the sinus region.
- Overproduction of mucus from infected areas.
- Bad breathe due to bacterial infection in the nasal passage.
- Frequent nasal congestion and difficulty in breathing due to nasal discharge.
- Eye, Ear and tooth pain due to pressure on surrounding nerves and tissue.
Most common sinusitis is caused by bacteria and viruses, which can be cured by antibiotics like amoxicillin, clarithromycin and doxycycline.
- Antihistamines can be used to treat the sinusitis caused by pollen.
- Topical nasal corticosteroids sprays helps in reducing and preventing nasal polyps.
- In acute conditions, surgery is recommended over when medication didn’t work.
All most everyone have experienced this condition at least once in their life time, we can get relived with many home remedies during early stages of sinusitis. Treating sinusitis at initial stages is much easier.
Few of them are given below
- Nasal passage flush: A saline wash helps thin mucus and helps flush it out.
- Steam inhalation: Few drops of menthol or eucalyptus oil on hot waters before we inhale those vapours provide an instant relief
- Humidifier: If sinusitis is due to mould allergies, this humidifiers can keep it moist and clean.
- Drink more fluids: Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of waters and juices, to keep sinuses moist.
- Sleeping: Sleep head raised, so that pressure on the sinuses is reduced