Its unique flavor, taste and health promoting characteristics make pomegranate one of the most popular nutritional fruits. Its functionality is only matched by sub-arctic pigmented berries and some tropical exotics like mango. Together they are known as super fruits.
Consuming pomegranate is highly beneficial. Apart from being a healthy choice, pomegranates are super delicious as well. They are a good source of vitamins a, c and e as well as folic acid. They also have anti-viral, anti oxidant and anti tumor properties.
Pomegranates are also a popular option for curing heart-related problems maintaining healthy and effective blood circulation and for curing;
- Stomach disorders
- Dental problems
Uses of Pomegranate
Consuming pomegranates allow one to access its health benefits. They can be consumed in the following ways:
- As juice: Pomegranates can be made into a juice and can be served as refreshment or as dietary supplement.
- Chewing seeds: Pomegranate seeds are covered by a shiny red jelly called arils, these contain juicy nectar. The seeds can be picked out and eaten to maximize health benefits.
Traditionally, in parts of the world like India and other parts of Asia, pomegranates are used for:
- skin cleansing
- Reducing inflammation
- Treatment of sore throats.
The fruit can also be mashed together to form paste, syrup or nectar concentrate. Over the years, pomegranate syrup have been used to treat damage to cartilage and for protection of babies from brain damage that may be incurred during birth.
Health Benefits of Pomegranate
Pomegranates help in curing various health complications that stop the body from functioning optimally. They include:
- Heart problems: Pomegranate is good for healthy blood circulation. Taking its juice regularly helps maintain good flow of blood in the body, thereby decreasing the risk of heart problems like cardiac arrest and stroke. Its antioxidant nature helps keep away bad cholesterol, thus keeping the arteries free from any clots. These clots are clear because pomegranates help make the blood thinner.
- Dental care: One of the major benefits of consuming pomegranates is that their juice helps reduce the effects of teeth plaque and protect against diseases of the mouth. This is because of its inherent antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Cancer: Pomegranates have very high levels of some antioxidants called flavonoids. These are effective in counteracting cancerous cells in the body. The juice of his fruit can help people that face high risk of breast and prostate cancer reduce their risk of developing cancer. It also actively fights all cancer radials contained in the body before commencement of consumption.
- Stomach disorders: Pomegranate peel, leaves and bark are used to calm the effects of stomach disorders and any digestive problems that may be caused by diarrhea. Tea made from the leaves of this fruit can serve as a very potent medicine for digestive problems including constipation. Its juice also cures dysentery and cholera.
- Diabetes: Drinking pomegranate juice can reduce the risk of coronary disease in diabetic patients. The fact that it helps in the reduction in the hardening of arteries makes it very effective in inhibiting the development of various heart diseases.
- Osteoarthritis: Eating pomegranates helps reduce illness like atherosclerosis and osteoarthritis. The damages that are caused by the thickening and hardening of the arteries in the cartilage around the joints are reduced by eating this fruit. Also, they help prevent the creation and aid in the destruction of enzymes that cause the breakdown of connective tissues within the body.
- Anemia: Pomegranate supplies the body with lots of iron helping to ensure healthy blood flow in the body. Consuming this fruit in any form helps reduce symptoms of anemia including dizziness, exhaustion, weakness and hearing loss.
Overtime, the world has been awakened to the numerous essential health benefits and importance of eating pomegranates. The benefit of eating this fruit also includes significant reduction in the possibility of having premature babies and avoiding low birth weight for newly born infants.
Pomegranates also aid in reducing the possibility of developing Alzheimer’s disease in older people. It also helps control aging problems like wrinkles, thereby giving the skin a healthy and youthful glow. Apart from all these, pomegranates can help women fight depression during menstruation.
This super fruit also aids in curing erectile dysfunctions, therefore it is a recommended dietary additive for everyone.